Okay, I know Christmas usually comes and goes pretty quickly, but not at my house.
In all the hoopla of the holiday season, decorations usually don’t come down at our house until mid-January. Or at least I try.
So I have now developed a sort of OCD when it comes to Christmas Decorations, tree ornaments specifically.
- Plastic ornaments only anywhere within pet reach! (we do have a few and by a few I mean ‘still in the single digit quantity’ glass ornaments that get placed deep within and well out of pet reach)
- All ornaments are TIED to the tree. (the little hooks that are used to hang ornaments are bent to completely loop the tree limb)
- All ornaments that go on the tree are counted, so when it comes time to take them down I know how many if any are missing.
- All ornaments must be medium/large-sized to avoid being a choking hazard to cats or dogs.
- The pets are closely supervised when near the tree, and all rough-housing is prohibited when near the tree.
Yes, even with those precautions there will be a few pieces that will turn up MIA but at least it won’t be many.
How do I know that this isn’t foolproof?
Memphis: and I know it was Memphis, he was the only one who was really fascinated with the tree last year, managed to squirrel away TWO christmas tree balls.
The last of which was not found until mid-July! That being said, christmas at our house will not be over until all decorations are accounted for and properly put away.
Anyone else end up finding christmas decorations well into the new year? How do you pet-proof your Christmas tree? I would love to hear you pets Christmas experiences!